This is a WebQuest Contest I do with my regents students as we work with J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. For this unit, I put students in five groups (Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves, Wizards, and Goblins), and each group has a series of activities to do that relate to the various races of people who inhabit Middle Earth.
To begin, we go to the library for a Tolkien’s World Scavenger Hunt (see below). From there, they get their WebQuests and they are off and running.
Part I: Let’s begin our journey by learning more about J.R.R. Tolkien and his world. We will start with a visit to the library’s computer center, and each group will work together to complete the questions about Tolkien’s life. Explore the links provided to answer your questions.
The Tolkien Society http://www.tolkiensociety.org/
The Grey Havens http://tolkien.cro.net/
The Tolkien Timeline http://gollum.usask.ca/tolkien/
The Complete Guide to Tolkien On-Line http://onering.virbius.com/
Flawless Logic’s Tolkien Site http://library.flawlesslogic.com/tolkien.htm
The Encyclopedia of Arda http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp
1. What is J.R.R. Tolkien’s full name?
2. When and where was he born?
3. In a mimimum of fifty words, describe Tolkien’s childhood.
4. In a minimum of fifty words, describe Tolkien’s education.
5. In a minimum of fifty words, discuss Tolkien’s professional career (other than as an author).
6. Name Tolkien’s wife and provide the date of their marriage.
7. Name J.R.R. Tolkien’s children.
8. Describe at least two historical events that occurred during Tolkien’s life that may have had an influence upon his writing.
9. In what year was The Hobbit published and by what company?
10. Name at least four other full length works by J.R.R. Tolkien and their years of publication.
Great! Now that you are more familiar with Tolkien, you are ready to begin your Web Quest!
Part II: Find your group name (either Hobbits, Dwarves, Goblins, Wizards, or Elves), and follow the Web Quest instructions.